Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A 10 Day Long Weekend

Saturday was an absolutely stellar day. Besides being near perfect weather-wise, warm, sunny, and no rain for a change, it was also the beginning of a long holiday weekend, and the first day of a week's holiday for me. I had originally considered going somewhere hot and tropical for a few days, but when I looked around at everything around home, inside and out, that normally needs to be done at this time of year, and would then have to be left for evenings after work (yuk) or weekends instead of doing something recreational (double yuk), I decided to save my money for other things this summer (like dog shows!) and have a semi-working "stay-cation" instead. Having resolved the what and where, now I needed to get into a festive long weekend frame of mind.

Out with the dogs early Saturday morning, the lilac bush had sprouted a bumper crop of blooms since I had last noticed. It's my favourite signal that spring has definitely arrived.

Photobucket

Having done a few outdoor chores, it was time to head out for groceries and stock up on some "first long weekend of the summer" type of goodies. Almost as important, time to try out my new shoes!!


Aren't they different?? I love them!

Photobucket

Photobucket

The dogs weren't too sure ...

Photobucket


Off to the market for good bread, fruits and veggies. Lots of potted annuals on display ...

Photobucket

Checking out ...

Photobucket


Next, Loblaws. Predictably, the hot dog and sausage vendors in full force, all for a good cause.

Photobucket

A view of what I didn't buy ...

Photobucket

But I'm only human, and a helpless victim of good marketing. Between the tantalizing smell of the grilled sausages out front, and weasely clever marketing skills, I just had to try those adorable little polish sausages and equally cute-as-could-be mini ciabatta buns. They seemed perfect for a holiday weekend barbecue. It's not like I had bought a whole lot of frivolous, not-so-healthy items, right??

Photobucket


Except that I just couldn't resist these new ice cream sandwiches ... after all, I had passed by that whole freezer full of ice cream. I deserved this!! :)

Photobucket

Time to cook up those little sausages, and some peppers and onions to top them off.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Add some fresh corn on the cob ... dinner is served!

Photobucket

A perfect dessert!

Photobucket

No comments: